Originally Posted by nick
rlott, Point taken.
The total area is 3.5 acres. which includes some timber and a small creek. The main open area that I am thinking of trying to do something with is maybe a little more than 1/2 acre. so that would be my goal to get that spot going not the entire lot.
this smaller spot would allow me to give it a try anyway.
In a post above you mentioned Hancock...is that a good place to get seed? Any other sources?
I live in farm country so lime and fertilizer can be acquired locally can possibly get my hands on some equipt. if needed, but hoping I can get by with my "smaller" tractor and stuff.

As far as doing a soil sample...what am I looking for? and is there a chart or guide to determine what/how much I need to get to what? levels?

I appreciate the help...thanks for your time
It's not rocket science. A one-pound coffee can about one-half to two-thirds full is plenty unless there are noticeable soil differences in the area you will be planting. Fill your can with about a cup full from several different places. Take it to your local agricultural extension office. They will be listed both under both state agencies and county agencies in most telephone directories.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...