been bone-ass dry on my farm, although i've got the plots scalped & ready to break ground, the soil is about as hard as a parking lot, so still waiting for some moisture to soften things a bit...supposed to get some over the next few days.

i have 10 plots on my farm ranging from 1/2 acre to 4 acres, and we usually plant a mix of wheat/rye with a bit of winter peas & some assorted greens mixed in. better soil gets a 60/40 wheat-rye mix, in dry/rocky soil i'll reverse that & seed the rye heavy.

about February, i'll overseed all plots with an annual clover which then pops up pretty well with spring warmup; we usually mow the tall wintergrains down in mid-march and the clover keeps on going through early summer.

By doing so, i only have to break ground once, but the plots feed the deer for 6-8 months out of the year. (i dont maintain them in summer).

we always plant some of our access trails to funnel deer movement & use them as shooting lanes...no issues with growth under the canopy, if the soil is good.

trails in the woods:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

some of the plots....first one from the eye in the sky, just after i broke ground:
[Linked Image]

the same one, from the deer's point of view...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

============================================================