Originally Posted by rlott
I planted buckwheat in a spot that I was having a lot of trouble with washouts. The plan was to wait till the buckwheat came in good, then broadcast and cultipack a clover mix into it.

It almost worked. The buckwheat came in fast and grew like crazy. Then the deer found it and wiped it out almost overnight.

NE Minnesota here. For giggles, I planted all the annuals that I had on hand, together in the same plot. "My" deer have never seen most of these crops. I usually just plant clover fields. I mixed everything for this new plot, but with swales of MOSTLY single species in the 2 acres, encumbered by boulders and gravels as "soils." Field corn, sweet corn, sunflowers, buckwheat, oats, cabbages, kale, collards, squash, pole, runner, and bush beans, beets, forage turnips, daikon radishes, fava beans, Swiss chard, Brussel sprouts, spinach, peas, and a few other things that I'm sure I've forgotten. All went in. It was all planted far too thickly.

Long story short: Deer took the buckwheat first; topped every one. Sunflowers went next. The daikon radishes (new to me) outgrew everything (chest high), even the corn, and they shielded shorter species from browsing very well. The radishes have fairly robust seed pods at their terminus smile on their tops. The deer love the pods. The BEARS love them too! Bears are tough on a food plot. Deer and bears wade through the thick radish plants and mow a path through, eating the pods and stems. Most of the undergrowth of cole crops and setch are still intact, but its only the end of August. Hoping a few leaves will be left during late fall. I have not checked for radish roots yet (the Daikon radish is called "groundhog" because its self-tilling: dies during winter and leaves a hole in the earth. I can't plow the rocky ground and only use a drag, so...maybe?). I figure the deer will dig for roots into the winter, if the deer like 'em. They go for other roots like dandelions and beets, so maybe.

Anyway, the radishes apparently make a good "bear plot" and deer love young buckwheat.

I think I'm in love with my tractor. shocked

Bill

There are many copies.