Boddington also got smarter as he got older--partly because of watching his daughter kill a bunch of big game with the 7mm-08.

But Craig also finally used a .270 on a bull elk during a hunt on the Whittington Center in New Mexico, mostly because some people gave him grief about putting down the .270 as an elk cartridge without ever having used one. So he loaded up some 150-grain Partitions with H4831, and his chance came on a good 6-point across canyon, at a little over 400 yards. He aimed just behind the shoulder and that's where the bullet landed. The bull stumbled a little ways and fell over dead.

In fact, at that time it was the quickest kill he'd made on an elk. I know this because I hunted the Whittington myself a few years later, with the guy who guided Craig, Mike Ballew. We ended up at the spot where Craig shot his bull, and Mike pointed out where the elk had been standing, and then told me how Craig mentioned it being his quickest elk kill.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck