PS- I've only killed three elk, all cows. I used the 30-06/180 Hornady LM factory load; 375 H&H/300 SBT handload going 2600; and the 338/185XLC handload. All died, and quickly even though two took a finishing round ( the '06/375) just because I wanted to, not needed to. I felt the 338/185 load made the quickest kill...by 3 seconds, maybe. ha. Of the big guns I've shot other game with, the one rifle that made big holes with less rifle weight amd recoil was a Mod 700 Classic Whelen rechambered to 35 Ackley Improved and Barnes 250X/200X/310 Woodleigh. If I draw another cow tag, I will try one of three.....My BAR .270, Mod 700 7x57 or Ruger 77 338 Federal.
I will add that if one has a rifle/load that will shoot completely through a big hogs shoulders or from a hard angle...you can rest assured it WILL work just fine on elk, size notwithstanding. Soft, easy opening deer bullets won't do that on a hog 90% of the time, nor on elk. Heavy cup/core for caliber ( Elmer had some good ideas) or Premiums (Jack OC did too) will both "usually" do it...this is just MY 2 cents worth of Empirical Data/Observation. I have zero degrees. Just a Preacher who doesn't like to fish that much, doesn't drink or run around on his wife of 44 yrs but who has been blessed enough to hunt/shoot/handload for the past 56yrs ( since I was 8) I was always curious as to "what rifle/shotgun/load/distance/reaction, etc and what did the bullet wound look like, even as a kid with squirrels/22s! ha. I don't care what someone uses/doesn't use in the game fields as long as (a) they don't shoot ME and (b) they leave me alone. lol