Originally Posted by MCMXI
You can explain to one of my best friends who spent 20 years as a MHP officer, and who's a seriously good shooter who's hunted this state for over 30 years, why he's an idiot for reversing his decision a couple of years ago to drop down from a 300 WSM Browning A-Bolt to a .308 Win Montana 84M for elk hunting after a day hunting with his brother outside Great Falls. You can explain to him that his brother must be incompetent since the three 180gr TTSX bullets that all ended up under the skin on the far side, two of which went through the lungs and one of which passed through the heart, still allowed a nice bull elk to walk 30 yards and almost topple over the edge of a coolie. You can explain that a .270 Win would have been so much better because it's all about shot placement and holes.

OMG, the horror! An elk walked 30 yards after being shot! News alert!

Of course, using a 180 TSX from a 308 is a questionable move. I wouldn't call it "incompetent", just uninformed. I'd not use more than a 150, and even then, as I've posted before, I've seen a 150 TTSX not open at modest 308 speeds on elk. Better to have used a more frangilbe bullet with some "grenade" effect. A 165 Cup and Core is my choice in the 308. Hey wait, that's what I generally use on elk!

And yes, most bullets from a 270 would have been better than the 180 TSX/308 combo...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery