MCMXI,

Gee, so my comment on Craig Boddington wasn't backed by enough "interpretation"?

I was a science major in college, and have gleaned as lot of statistical information from my big game hunting notes, which include not just the animals I've personally taken but those shot by all my hunting companions over 50+ years. I'd hunted quite a bit already before 2000, but between then and 2010 deliberately spent a lot of time going on various "cull hunts" to glean more information on how big game cartridges and bullets work in the field. These took place not only in North America but Africa, Europe and New Zealand, and provided a LOT of information. Occasionally I also find other good sources of data, such as the Swedish hunting survey that analyzed the taking of close to 8000 moose with various cartridges and bullets.

If you want to discuss statistical analysis of cartridge performance, then I've got some numbers. But in the meantime I think Brad has a very good point. How did you come to the conclusion that your choice is the ultimate elk rifle?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck