Originally Posted by MCMXI
How did you come to the conclusion that your choice is the ultimate elk rifle?

Everyone is free to take away whatever they want from your stories. For me it's a single data point from which nothing can be determined, but the reference to Boddington attempts to give it more significance than it deserves. That's the definition of disingenuous.

I'm just thrilled that I finally understand the complex theory that bullet holes and shot placement kill elk. Now I can enjoy my weekend.

I might suggest you seem to be confusing data point with data source. When MD references his data set or the experiences of Boddington or Brad's experience they are data sources with multiple data points - not a single data point.

What you are hearing/reading, and the point of this particular post, is that there are data points and there are data sources. When JB speaks, especially of his 50 year record/data log, he references multiple data points acquired by a guy with a science background under multiple scenarios. He literally has numerous lifetimes of game animal records. To put it in terms you used related to your MIT professor - JB is the dean of the hunter nerd University of Big Game. I say that with all due respect - cause I are one as well. Brad, and a few others on here are your PhD elk hunters. I'll extrapolate from known data points - Brad will post a pic of a mature 6pt bull the first week of November 2017. Shot 3-5 miles from the nearest road with a non-magnum while reading a book and sipping a latte. The latte is made up, the book not so much 😎

I'll interpolate between my experiences, JBs notes, Brad's experiences and several others on the Fire with similar elk resumes and arrive at the thesis that a magnum is not required to kill an elk. I proved it to myself last year - twice.

My main point is not directed to those that have killed elk but to the guys like me 10-15 years ago thinking I needed a baby howitzer to dispatch an elk. In hindsight, I wish I would have resolved that piece of elk hunting sooner - and used a Kimber-esque rifle in a non-magnum cartridge. And frankly spent my time learning about lighter gear and backpacking. I would have a few more bulls under my belt had I done that.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.