To my way of thinking, the 243 is not right for most people. I hunted with one when I first started in the mid 60s. I have hunted the hill country of Texas all my life. The deer are small. I have talked to a lot of guides and ranch owners. It is their general consensus that eventually the 243 will let you down. They used to loan 257 Roberts, now it's 7-08s.There are several reasons for this. First, there is little room for mistake in bullet placement. Early on most bullets were iffy. Second, bullet failure. I think a lot of this has to do with hunters going once or twice a year. They go somewhere, buy a box of shell, go to the range, shoot a couple Times, and if its close go hunting. Maybe they mix varmint with big game bullets. Many are young or inexperienced. A lot of this is not the rounds fault. My thought is that one can buy a 7-08, or one of the 6.5s use reduced recoil and eliminate a lot of the problems. Experienced hunters using the best bullets can do ok with the 243, but there are better options. Captdavid

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!