Originally Posted by MILES58
When the Ravin was released I spent some time evaluating it.

It has a lot of well considered features and were I buying a first crossbow today it would be a choice between what have, an Excalibur Matrix 330, and the Ravin.

The crank s really nice, but if it fails, then what? The super tight nocks are an issue. They are necessary to the design, they do not contribute to accuracy and they limit what you can shoot for arrows. The narrow bow is really nice and it handles much more like a rifle. The speed is nice, but it's not fast enough that it makes any difference. The trigger is good. The scope sucks.

The Excalibur is about as bullet proof as they get. The trigger is good. The scope really sucks. Maintenance is simple and can be done by the user. It's not the fastest, but none of the deer I have killed with it moved before the arrow got there. Plenty of power to drive a big two blade or four blade expandable completely through big deer. Extremely accurate.

The width of the Excalibur is not an issue for me other than how it affects the balance.

Thanks for the info and opinions! I guess if I'd decide to replace scope down the road it's not end of world but just more money out of my pocket. I'm sure I can make due for my 1st season/fall of hunting and go from there. Are you talking clarity ,,, eye relief ,,, or what??? Just curious.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD