I don't think you are doing it wrong, just a question coming from limited past experiences in a treestand using a crank.

A couple of crossbows have been a PITA to recock in the stand. My experience with a couple of different cranks was that the nose of the bow had to braced "someplace" and usually standing up was the easiest. I've tried just sticking my boot in the stirrup while sitting, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

In our deer management areas in urban archery seasons, we'll see deer in groups, and especially does with yearlings. If you can get the doe down, the yearlings will usually hang around, or come back to the area if they spook a bit. A quick reload has resulted in more than one deer down in the same sit.

If the crank system is a PITA, you end up standing and cranking to reload, making more movement, more noise, etc. A buddy had an upper end 10 Point, the crank was pretty easy to run, but it a noisy clicker that ratcheted the line back into the spool. I tried a crank on my Carbon Express, it felt like I was flopping around, without standing up.