Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Highoctane
Originally Posted by Savage_99
My Barnet cross bow's trigger mec. broke. It's jammed.

Back to the rifles.

That 150 dollar crossbow didn't turn out to be such a bargain aye.. The old addage, you get what you pay for looks like it came to fruition here.

Highoctane:

What crossbows do you use and recommend?

I have owned Mission and Tenpoint crossbows. I currently have a Tenpoint FX4. I understand that discretionary, slush-fund income varies among people and I also understand that there are some that simply will not spend upwards and in excess of 1k or more for a bow but when I decided to get into crossbows I wanted a QUALITY built weapon that I could be confident in and base my decision on the other points that crossbow hunting offers rather than be "soured" by a bow that wasn't reliable. Simply put, I didn't want a cheaply built bow to be the weak link or the deciding factor in my decision on whether I liked crossbow hunting or not.

Crossbows are immensely powerful weapons. We're talking from 130 lb and upward of 200 for limbs on compound style to over 300 lb limbs on some recurve style. It takes a well designed and built bow to take that kind of abuse shot after shot. Stewart-Haas Racing doesn't contract the local auto parts store brand for their racing engine needs.

As far as my recommendation, I'm partial to Tenpoint but there are some REALLY good bows, albeit not cheap, out there. Mission, Scorpyd, Horton, Darton, Parker, etc. If I was "looking" for a bow I would first figure out what I could spend. Remember, there's always the route of "gently used" bows. Then I would evaluate my hunting style, tree stands, ground blinds, stalking etc. Then I would start researching bows that fit my style. I would also peruse some of the crossbow forums, crossbow nation, AT's crossbow area etc and read what others are saying, but always read with a subjective mind. As we know, some are just disgruntled and want to be argumentative about everything.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"