One of the most useful attribute of the Marlin X guns is that the guys who designed it borrowed the good attributes from the Remington 700 series, bolt handle shape and stock ergs, and the Savage 110 series, the barrel nut and small shank barrel specs.

They have usually been available NIB for under $350 and at close out from CDNN for as little as $250. The factory synthetic stocks are OK and can be upgraded to a Boyds stock for under $150.

I don't mind the factory synthetic stocks and I like to swap barrels, so I'm a fan.

If you're not interested in swapping barrels, the Howa 1500s at Whittaker's for $330 are a great deal if you don't mind the Hogue stocks are still a good deal if you can find a V2 stock or GPC S&W walnut stock for a good price to install the Howa 1500 barreled action in.

I have expensive firearms and inexpensive firearms, collectible firearms and common firearms, nice firearms and beat firearms, and I enjoy shooting most of them or I would probably send those that I didn't enjoy down the road.