Quite a few years back, 1973 to be exact, a co-worker had an FN Mauser in .270 he wanted to sell. He got it in a trade so I asked him what he wanted for it? $75.00.
I bought it. Frankly it was more for the action as the stock on the rifle was about ultra fugly. Reminds me of a comment by the late Jack O'Connor. "That stock was so ugly it would abort a lady crocodile." Sure fit the one on that .270. At the time I'd never owned a .270 so I bought a couple boxes of 130 and 150 gr. loads and tried it out.
The 130's averaged one inch and the 150's slightly over a half inch. "Old Ugly" would shoot. My handloads were slightly better. I seriously gave thought to doing a restock on the gun but would I retain the accuracy? I left it alone. Dunno what the stock wood was but it wasn't walnut as seemed to be too light for birch. I never have figured that one out. The barrel is as slim as a soda straw, 24" but will group three rapid fire before walking. Even with scope and sling and a full magazine I doubt it hits 7 pounds. Great at altitude in the mountains but a bear to hold steady breathing hard. No matter. I think I'll keep it as is.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE