I have got a .30/06 Springfield rifle, ugliest sporterised military straight stock that someone whittled on and then scratched some checkering onto and called it good. Probably done in the 1950's. It has a Parker Hale receiver sight cobbled onto the side. It would be the ugliest bloody rifle I ever saw, excepting a Mosin Nagant or any kind of Savage. I got it basically for nothing. The space it was taking up was worth more than the rifle. I had visions of using the action to make a nice old-school sporter in a fine stock, a la Griffen and Howe. All it had to do was just shoot alright and I would be satisfied with three inch groups.

But with any load I give it I can shoot a one inch to 1.5 inch group at 100 meters with that peep sight, and it seems it was brought up in the wild by a family of .300 Magnum's because she gives me top velocity as well.

Can't really bring myself to do anything with it now. Sometimes they earn their place as they are.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain