I also don't think Finn would choose a .30-06 over the .308. We corresponded some about rifles and cartridges, and I also got to take a look at his book full of loading and hunting notes after he died, thanks to Berit bringing it to a get-together in Texas. One of the many things Finn and I agreed about was the tendency of many hunters to be
"over-gunned," and another part of the agreement was that the .308 would do just about anything the .30-06 would.

My opinion on the subject of the .308/.30-06 question is also based on some experience. I am now down to one .30-06, the NULA Model 24 I've used in quite a few places around the world for 20 years, and its one rifle I'll probably always keep. But my wife Eileen and I own four .308's, and have taken 22 species of big game with them in various countries from northern Canada to southern Africa. We have yet to find the .308 wanting with any of the numerous bullets we've used.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck