Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
When Finn hunted with us in '97 or so, he mentioned the 25-06 (which I was using at the time) was about perfect for plains game. Well, Montana plains game anyway.

That was before laser rangefinders, so if anything the affordable laser rangefinders of today makes the 308 better than ever, and it wouldn't surprise me if Finn would still use a 308 if he were still around.

FWIW, I had mentioned to Finn how I really wanted to be a sniper. A month or so later, a box arrived with the "Death From Afar" book series within, signed by the authors to Finn. A very nice gift from a very good man.

Yeah, meant to comment on your post Billy. Super cool you got to meet Finn and receive such a gift. Nearly everything the man wrote struck a chord with me. But I'm generally a "less is more" kind of person...

Thanks, Brad! I agree on Finn's writing; my copy of his "Selected Works" is about worn out.

I was fortunate in being able to take a few days off of school while he was here. We tried to get him on a really tremendous mule deer, but it just wasn't in the cards. Finn decided to take an older 3x3 buck that most guys wouldn't want, in order to help us with a "cull" and still have some good meat. Finn also listened patiently as I showed off my cheap Daisy single pump air rifle, which I was using to compete in 4-H shooting competition. Those examples of kindness made a big impact on a surly teenager, and I still miss the man. Not only for his superb writing, but because he seemed like a truly decent human being.