Originally Posted by moosemike

Jerry, my hunting is almost all in the woods and while I spent plenty of time with the .270 and .30-06 in hand I've mostly been shooting game at 50 yards or even less which has led me back to the cartridges of my youth. Right now I also do not have a hunting trip gun since last November I handed my son my .30-06 . I believe I'm going to remedy that here shortly by investing in a .308 . Already have a Leupold laying around so I'll be good to go.

Mike, where and the terrain we hunt CAN dictate what we need in the way of rifles/cartridges. I've hunted thickets and wide open places that at times reminded me of the 'plains'. Where I hunt since 2012, I can be in a thicket or stalking open pasture up to 400 yds.

Mostly, I hunt a rifle or cartridge by the MOOD I'm in. I have taken a 7 Mag to a creek bottom thicket - because I wanted to not because I needed it. OTOH it's silly to take a short range round or one having a SOFTBALL trajectory to wide open places. NO inference to the 308.

I have never before put in words what I've said twice this week. A Flat Trajectory is never a Handicap.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!