John said The 286 9.3 is another really good one that's hard to recover.

That's the bullet I am going to be loading soon in a few 9.3s I have killed game with it from my 9.3X74R Ruger #1 and it's done well, but so far the "tests" were deer and antelope, so for a large powerful rifle, that's not much of a test.

I will load them in my 9.3X62 also. Velocity will be the same, or maybe 100 FPS higher than what I shoot from my Ruger.

The gun I am wondering about is the 9.3X57 I am making. I will try various bullets for expansion and accuracy. What I don't want ( if I can get away from it) is a short range only gun. The Norma and RWS bullets of 225 gr and 232 gr are getting hard to get, are expensive, and some of them are going to thick jackets and bonding. That makes them outstanding for close range and heavy game, but not as good for deer or even elk at 300 yards and farther. I may be weird, but I love to hunt antelope with "close range guns" and in most hunts I can and do get close and kill them just fine. I have done it with flintlock rifles in 50 cal and 62 cal. with 4" barrled 44 mag, 6" barreled 357 mags, Iron sighted 30-30 and one time I did it with a bow and arrow.
But sometimes I am forced by time constraints to make a longer shot, and out to 400 yards is what I consider a "good all-around load".
If a bullet goes below it's expansion threshold it doesn't open up much if at all.

The 9.3X57 only starts bullets at 2050 FPS to 2100 FPS for the heavies, and about 2350 to 2400 for the light ones.

I have had bad luck with the Speer 270 grain bullets in my 9.3X74R but perhaps they will not be so bad if only impacting at 1500 FPS to 1800 FPS. Maybe the 9.3X57 is the best shell to load them in. In my 9.3X74R they are nothing but real big varmint bullets.

The one I want to hear about is the very bullet you named John, that being the Hornady 286 gr. I know what it does at impacts of 1800FPS to 2100 FPS, but I am wondering how it will do at 1300 to 1400 FPS impact speed.

If I can't get what I want from the market place I probably will just make molds and cast bullets for it. I did that for so long and did so many of them that casting is not fun for me anymore, but I do know a lot about it, and I can usually make a rifle work super well with cast bullets at any velocity below 2400 FPS. I would use paper patched and lube-groove bullets to do that load work, but I am not excited about doing all that if I don't have to.

Any intel for me with the Hornady 286 gr at lower speeds? Or any suggestions I have not thought of?