Yeah I think you may be right. I am leaning toward the steel butt plate. But I am still going back and forth in my mind on that detail.

I would not add any weight to the stock. The idea of this rifle is to make it light and handy. I am not recoil sensitive, but I also see no virtue in a rifle's kick. The 9.3X57 is factory loaded to very low pressures and has a light recoil, but it's not "kickless". Factory loads fire bullets about as fast as a 30-30 170 grain, but weigh 116 grains more. Coming form a rifles only 12 Oz. heavier than a typical 30-30, it's easy to see that such a rifles will have some recoil. The 9.3X57 dates to a time that many of the rifles it was made in were of the 94 Mauser type and therefore the European specs for the loads keep the pressure down to under 38,000 (Or so I am told)
In a 98 Mauser, the pressures can be safely brought up to 58,500 like so many other shells used on the 98 system. Same bolt face and same action. So should I desire a more powerful load, I can load my ammo up. But if I do, a steel bullet on a 6-3/4 pound gun may be a bit "brisk" to say the least. I may settle on a 250 grain bullet at about 2400 FPS. We'll see soon enough.

Here is the latest. I am hogging out the forward parts.
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Last edited by szihn; 07/27/17.