Trejano, you are correct about the 8X57. It's a wonderful shell. Not really better than the American classic, the 30-06, but about as good. I killed my deer and my elk with one last year, and I don't buy into the idea that the 8X57 is a "close range cartridge". In fact I am of the opinion that anything the 308 can do the 8X57 can do a bit better, and I am a 308 fan. But credits need to be give when it's due. Flatness of trajectory can be nice, but it's not vital for long range shooting. Heck, the 308 Match loads are not super flat, but ask our nation's enemies is it's worthless at range, and see what they think of USMC and US Army snipers using 308s.

Here is what my 8X57 does regularly with 200 grain bullet.
[Linked Image]PC070001 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

And with the 170 grain Hornady SSTs is shoots 2X smaller groups that this one in the pic above, but I have found the 170 SST is not ideal for elk, so I am only using them in the future on deer and antelope. It killed a nice sized 5X5 bull last year, but penetration was not as good as I wanted.

I don't own a 358 Win, but I have made a few for customers. I made one for a man who hunts in Western and south western Wyoming with it and has for many years now, and he tells me it's wonderful for elk and moose and he's also killed most of his antelope with it now for the last 18 years or so. Again, I have to reject the notion the 358 is a "only close range shell". It is only if it's owner can only shoot well at close range, or only uses it at close range. My friend has killed many antelope with his, and he tells me many were out past 300 yards and a few were a bit over 400.

I hope to have some details to give in the use of the 9.3X57 and the 9.3X62 in the coming years. I have well over a Dz kills with my 9.3X74R and I can tell you with certainty what some of the bullets can do. I am hoping to add much more information in the coming years.

Last edited by szihn; 07/30/17.