Well it's nearly time to start finish work. The last of the metal work will be to make the swivel for the front and a swivel and stud for the back. Next I'll put a scope on the rifle and find an accurate load. Then I'll remove the scope and using that load, I'll make a temp front sight and zero the rear sight at distances from 100 to 500 yards. Then I make a bead style permanent front sight.

That will complete the metal work expect for the polishing.

I'll then sand and finish the wood. When the stock is 100% done I'll polish the metal, do the engraving and then blue. Then re-mount the scope.

Last............go hunting with it.

I often use guns for hunting on open ground for antelope and deer that most think are not good for long range. This will be one of them I am sure.
First, I like to hunt, so I like to get close and I feel satisfied when I kill antelope with "close range guns" far more then i do when I kill them way out there with my 270 or my 25-06. But if I have a hard time and after a few weeks, if I can't get what I want at close range, I have proven to myself MANY times that learning the trajectory of even a 45-70, a 9.3x74R or my old 303 British, I can still make 300 yard shots without much problem and I have made a few with "bullet lobbers" at over 400.

I hope to have some stories to tell about hunting with this gun in the future.
But first I have to finish it. I still have several hours of work to do before I can start thinking about making meat with this one.

[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr