I've helped a few people pack elk that I didn't know a few times. I was already on my way out, no good reason to not help out.

A few years back I killed a good 6 point in Montana and was going back the next day to pack it. So, we decided to glass some deer country from the road on the way in for the next days or later that evening deer hunt.

Sure as heck, I glass up 3 bulls. When I got to the place I was going to park and head back in to pack the last half of my bull, 2 guys and a younger kid pull up and ask if we'd seen any elk. I told them about the 3 bulls I'd glassed about 30 minutes earlier.

They were in a place that was difficult to describe, so I just offered to take the guy with the bull permit back to the spot and put him on the bull. So, I drove back and we put about an hour long stalk on them and peeked over the hill...bedded right where I'd left them at about 250 yards. The guy was shook up a bit as he'd never killed a bull as big as the one he was about to. I talked him through it, told him to take his time, squeeze the trigger. His shot was gold, which I saw through my binoculars...but the bull did manage to stand up from his bed after the first shot. I told him to shoot it one more time and he did, shots were about 3 inches apart, right where they needed to be.

The guy and his son were very grateful I showed them where the bull was. Normally I would have stayed and helped them quarter and pack that bull too, but had my own to deal with. He didn't seem to mind that I was leaving him and his son to deal with the bull he just shot. He asked me before I walked back, "Why did you tell me about this bull, and why did you help me?". It was sort of an unexpected question, but I just said, "Because you asked if I'd seen any elk, you had a tag, and I knew where a good bull was, the better question is why not help you out?". He replied that most people wouldn't do that...we shook hands I congratulated him on his success and took off to pack the rest of my bull.

Maybe he'll get a chance someday to help someone else out...who knows.

Anyway, here's the bull I helped a complete stranger take, his best bull and likely still is his best one...

[Linked Image]

Me with the guys elk:

[Linked Image]