Originally Posted by AH64guy
I tend to offer to help, if it's needed - it's taken. If not needed, we congratulate and part ways.

I've helped some and been offered or helped by others that didn't have anything to gain, or wanted anything in return.

There have been a few that I've passed by, generally for reasons that were my own, usually reflections on meeting the person, their manners (lack of), or their lack of common sense in executing their hunt.

Very well said and I guess that was my point in starting this thread. Helping another hunter is a great thing, but it's a gift bestowed, not something anyone has a right to expect. If you choose not to help, no one is in a position to call you lazy or greedy. I hunt away from the road because the hunting is better "a few miles in." It's better because most people aren't willing to haul animals out on their backs. We all have stories of helping and being helped and that's how it should be. But no one is entitled to expect that kind of help. If you kill an animal in a spot where you need help to get it out, you're not taking any personal responsibility.

I've seen that more than once, and it doesn't sit well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.