Honestly, it wouldn't have been a decision until Barness put out some 9.3x62 data that I saw a few years ago. It seems a shorter step from H&H loads than I used to think, at least with careful handloading. I can't say I'll never go to Africa, because I wouldn't turn down the chance, but it's not in the financial plans currently.

Some years ago, I put together a plan to get a Savage action with a std length mag and .473" bolt fact and put into a good stock, then get barrels in 25-06, 30-06, and 35 Whelen. I already have a very accurate '06, and no longer have any desire to own a 25 cal anything, so I'm thinking just a medium bore in the right rifle now. The right rifle will be a lefty, with a Bell & Carlson stock that Remington has used on some of its rifles (if I can get it in LH). Maybe a re-barreled 700LH. Not sure yet. Was looking at CVA singleshots in 35 Whelen on Gunbroker last night. May have to snack on a cheaper single shot until I can find or put together what I'm looking for. Since I'm in my mid-40's, I struggle to be happy with factory guns anymore. Seems like there is always something I want in a different configuration. The LH thing doesn't help.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.