Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
Seems to me that as so often in a hobby there are logical rationalizations but emotional reasons actually settle the issue.

Logically, if you have molds and actually do shoot a lot of cast bullets that's an unmet argument for the Whelen. Even there I would, all else equal which it never is, prefer the 9.3x62 for hunting traditional game with cast bullets.

On the other hand there isn't that much to choose on the brass issue. .30-'06 can be readily fire formed, even indoors at least in the garage, to a perfectly workable 9.3x62 to take all the book loads.

I suppose like 6.5x55 there are differences between the inch and metric brass that may well matter at the margin but for all practical purposes and certainly in several CZ chambers the .30-'06 case does just as well in the 9.3x62 as in the Whelen.

I'm drifting to the Whelen today, because I already have molds, and because I'm quite happy with the slew of jacketed bullets out there in 35 cal.

I appreciate the continuing input, however. I likely won't drop any cash until the end of October anyway, so no decisions will be final until then.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.