Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bruce,

In my experience the 9.3x62 is indeed more "inherently accurate" than the .35 Whelen--and that's not just my opinion but that of one well-known accuracy gunsmith. Exactly that should be so is a mystery, but he often compares the 9.3x62 to a "big .308." They're that easy to get to shoot really small groups.

However, the other side of all this is exactly how small groups have to be in order to kill big game, especially BIGGER big game at, say, 300 yards, or even 400. Not many hunters chose either round for shooting beyond 400!

That has been my experience as well. I built more custom 9,3x62's for customers than any other chambering. All were incredibly easy to get to shoot. I kept a good supply of Prvi ammo on hand for test firing and never had a problem getting one to shoot sub MOA. I have several Husqvarnas so chambered that are also great shooters.

Given that I built Mausers, I didn't do many in .308, but I've shot a ton and would agree with that analogy. Irony is that most 9,3x62's have a fairly long throat and still shoot well. This really messes with those that insist that only rifles with a short jump to the lands can be accurate.