Allow me to "cut in" Kabok (:)) I know the 1895 was rebarelled/chambered tot he .375 Scovill (originally a necked up 9.3x62 case, later done with '06 brass) many have been done in the Whelen. Interestingly enough, the first time I ever "heard" of a 9.3x62 was about 45 yrs ago reading an article in some gunbook...the story was a one armed guy wanted a gunsmith to rebore/etc his Remington 742 to 9.3x62. He was going on a Brown Bear hunt and wanted all the "poop" he could get in a semi. The smith was writing the story and saying what all he had to do to get it to work right ( as did the gent who got a .458 winmag to work in a BAR) and the hunter got his bear. That got me to looking at both the 35 Whelen, 35 Brown Whelen and the 338/06 (really read up on that one and wanted one SO BAD) 9.3x62. Then, as a poor Bible School student in '87-'89 I read about Boddington killing that moose with the new Classic ( which I dearly love) in 35 Whelen. It was not until late '94 that I found a nice used one in the gun rack. By then I had read of the 35 Whelen Ackley ( I was a big believer in my 257 Roberts AI I had to sell later) so I immediately sent it off to Gary Stiles and had it rechambered. I worked up a load of 53gr 2015br/250X to 2550fps, went to South Africa in early '96. The farm owner had never heard of it, so I said "its about like the 9.3x62" and he smiled really big! smile I killed Blue Wildebeast, Zebra, Red Hartebeast, Kudu and the smaller Oryx. I only recovered 2 bullets, both from lengthwise shots on the zebra/kudu. I was amazed at their reaction when I pulled the trigger...they got that "OMG I've been shot!" look on their face! ha I I used the 200X in 2002 for Black Wildebeast (347yds) and another zebra (250yds) with the same effect as the 250x! Gotta love the Medium bores..

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 09/21/17.