Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bruce,

In my experience the 9.3x62 is indeed more "inherently accurate" than the .35 Whelen--and that's not just my opinion but that of one well-known accuracy gunsmith. Exactly that should be so is a mystery, but he often compares the 9.3x62 to a "big .308." They're that easy to get to shoot really small groups.

However, the other side of all this is exactly how small groups have to be in order to kill big game, especially BIGGER big game at, say, 300 yards, or even 400. Not many hunters chose either round for shooting beyond 400!

I'm going to hazard a guess here as to why this may be. The 9.3x62 usually comes in European guns which are typically better made than American guns, the Ruger's have a good reputation as well. For the longest time only Remington offered 35 Whelen brass which in my experience varies from lot to lot, some are good others are bad. The 9.3x62 brass again is often European and usually is top notch. I have started loading Norma 35 Whelen brass which has been real nice so far, much more consistent than Remington brass.

Anyway that's my guess as to a couple factors which might be going on here.

Gerry.