I recently returned from a hunt in Northern BC and the guide carried a 30 year old Ruger 77 wood blue 338 win mag with a Leupold - 2-7x33. The gun had been used hard - very little stock finish left, no blueing at all and covered in rust and the scope was severely dinged up - however the gun still shot, held poi, and the guide had full confidence in it.

It got me thinking about putting together a rifle setup this winter after hunting season with the idea of producing a working rifle that would be bomb proof - much like this guides rifle. My use for it mainly would be setup as a backup/loaner rifle that I could loan out as needed but something that needs to be a step above a RAR or the like. This project would also cure some rifle looneyism this winter.

Anyways, this is what I am thinking:
Ruger Hawkeye Stainless 30/06 or 338 OR possibly a Older Model 77 that had the iron sights from the factory on it.
Black McMillan Ruger Pattern Stock
6x40 Meopta in Ruger rings.

Bed the rifle, tweak trigger as needed, and get everything mounted and secured. Such a setup could take a whole lot of abuse for a whole lot of years and would make one heck of a near "bomb proof" setup. Thought?

Last edited by Hiaring8; 10/01/17.