I've posted this before, but I think it fits with the thread.

The "working rifle", or "backcountry rifle", "practical rifle", "wandering rifle", "wilderness rifle", or "professional's rifle" is my very favorite.

I've usually had one such rifle in the house since rifle-nuttery set in.

I understand the praise for the SS M77 MKII, and have had a number, including a 338 WM with open sights / Zytel stock. It didn't shoot worth a hoot, and I think it's overly heavy. For me the M77 is just too rough, and the safety sucks. But it is practicality embodied, and if I lived in the bush it might very well be my choice. It's bomb proof top to bottom, and is more rust-resistant than anything else out there.

However, I prefer the M70, so built my ideal around that action (old-style trigger).

Pictured is a SS M70 Fwt 30-06 (what other cartridge could it be really?).

21" barrel, Bansner Stock, NECG Classic Rear Sight, XS Sights front, Low Burris Zee's over Warne/Weaver Bases. Leopold 2-7x33.

I think a rifle of this category NEEDS backup iron's and a removable scope.

Obviously there are many ways to an end, but this is the one I crafted in 2004.

180 NP's at 2,780 takes in a world of hunting.

I'm currently contemplating its replacement, a lighter version with slightly heavier barrel, but the original concept will be completely intact.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery