Originally Posted by Brad
My current, a 1996 Classic Stainless FWT 308 Win in a McMillan Hunters Edge Compact and PT&G Al Bottom Metal.

Shown with 6x36 LRD in Low Weaver's, but currently wearing 2-7x33 LRD in Talley X-Low Lwt's. A very consistent shooting rifle.

Just needs iron sights!

[Linked Image]

Here's an interesting Weaver ring failure. I wrapped up a typical Pacific Northwest wet-weather deer hunt last night and was watching TV in the same room where my lightweight Husqvarna 30-06 was drying out after having been drenched for the second time in as many weeks.

It's this rifle, but with a 4x Leupold instead of the VX-R 3-9x40.

[Linked Image]

I heard something hit the floor and bounce a couple of times. Turns out the cross bolt that goes through the saddle had broken like a button popping off of a fat man’s shirt.

[Linked Image]

To be fair, I’ve been using this ring for 25 years if not more. It’s been on several scopes and dozens of rifles (including two 308’s, more 30-06’s than I can remember, two 338-06’s, a 270, and a 35 Whelen) for thousands of full-power rounds. It’s also been soaked with rain without being dried out or cleaned countless times.

I had checked that rifle’s zero that afternoon, and it was hitting where it should have out to 320 yards, so maybe it was just time for it to go.

Another good reason to have properly-zeroed iron sights on your rifle plus a spare scope pre-zeroed in rings plus any tools you’ll need to swap them out.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.