I've posted this pic many times but the ,338WM on the left would seem to me to be about ideal for the OP's purpose. The stainless barrel was fluted and (I think) trimmed to 22" by the original owner, who eventually went with a carbon-wrap barrel. I got it some years later and had it mounted on a stainless MKII action, then put it in a skeleton "boat paddle" stock. My load is a 225g AccuBond at a relatively sedate 2742fps. Sights are factory originals. Recoil is stiff but manageable. Right now it has a Burris FFII with their Ballistic Plex reticle, 3-9x. Don't know what the rifle weighs, but a 4x or maybe 6x would bring the weight down a tad and perhaps improve reliability of the scope. (Not that I've ever had a problem with the Burris FFII's and I own a pile of them.)

[Linked Image]

The others are a .300WM (center) and a .30-06 (right), factory configs.

If i was building one today I'd go with the current Ruger synthetic stock. I have couple and like them. Suspect the original Zytel skeleton boat paddle stocks are a bit more durable as they are solid rather than hollow.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/17/17. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.