Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
IMHO outlawing any device that modifies a semi-automatic firearm to fire automatic fire is the right move. No bargaining with the Dems, just do it. Make it clear magazine capacity and silencers are not on the table to be banned. This may pizz many of you off but I see it as a win for the Rs and the NRA in the long run. I see the bump stocks as an undefendable position in the eye of too many folks to argue it otherwise. YMMV

On an emotional stance that sounds good, but lets use some logic and explore the issue on a technical basis.

Devices that modify semi automatics already are illegal, or more correctly can only be installed by a class III manufacturer and the resulting firearm can only be sold to other class III dealers as a sample or sold to law enforcement/military that can purchase automatic and select fire weapons. The only full automatic or select fire firearms that can be legally purchased by the average Joe have to have been manufactured prior to 1986 and been registered prior to 1986. Then you need to live in an area where you are permitted to own class III, put in the paperwork, pay the $200 and wait a year.

Bumpfires do not modify a firearm to make them fully automatic. I think bumpfires and the like are stupid, but we need to be accurate in our terminology. If we don't use accurate language, we could end up with a law that would make someones trigger finger illegal because it can be used to fire a semi automatic too quickly. Sounds absurd? We're talking about government legislation or worse yet a BATF ruling.