Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Not specifically "Alaska" but let me offer perspective from a former Trooper who worked a rather rural area.
It is no wonder that most of the troopers I see these days have less than 5 years of service. Most see it for what it is, and find something else.

That, the whole thing, seems to be a very good summation and perspective on law. From the AST angle, I would only say that roadless rural Alaska, though it is similar in some ways to other remote parts of the country, is less meth-haven inclined (so far), and more dependent on relational cooperation - and not just in law enforcement. Unfortunately, it is also a place that seems to scare a lot of the people that would be assigned there, so it can become a dumping ground of sorts, much like it was for the Catholic Church did back in the 50's and 60's. That serves no one's best interests.

Some of the best LEO work I have seen done 'out there' has been time spent drinking coffee with parents in school hallways and cafeterias with parents and kids as they are dropped off. Knowing people's names matters.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.