The bolt not locking is pretty much the same as every other bolt action rifle without a three position safety nowadays. I don't like it either, I'd much prefer the bolt lock when the safety is on but the lawyers have decided that the public can't be trusted to keep their fingers off the trigger when unloading a rifle, thus the unlocked bolt. Most of your older rifles would lock the bolt with the safety on.

I have a RAR stainless 223 and it's amazingly accurate for the price and size, it's a hoot to shoot. The magazines feed OK, not great but OK. I think it's a great value for the way it shoots, but it's definitely built to a price point and it wouldn't be my choice for my primary hunting rifle. It is a great truck gun as someone mentioned.

Mine also came with a gritty trigger as BWalker mentioned. There are instructions on the internet on how to do a trigger job on one so I took mine apart and worked it. I got a really nice 2.5# trigger with no creep or grit when I was done and it didn't require replacing any parts, just trimming a spring and a little file touchup. I'm no gunsmith so if I can do it anyone can.