Originally Posted by Gibby
size 1911 as their primary CC gun? In all seasons.

What Brand gun?
Caliber?
Factory Loads?
Hand loads?
Practice Loads?
Holsters?

Reasons why on all the above.

Pics are welcome.

Daily since 1980.

Gun #1 from 1980-2007
1952 Colt Commander. BarSto barrel, Colt Ambi-safety, MMC white crossbar front sight with W/O rear, Vedici trigger. I was born in 1952 and just happened to buy the gun from a co-worker. As to why the Commander, just carries and points like nothing else.

.38 Super. Found I could shoot faster and better over a .45...far less recoil even with hot loads.

Carry Load:
From 1980-the early 1990s when CorBon brought out their line of .38 Super I carried a handload of a 115 grain Sierra JHP going mid-1400s. When CorBon brought out the exact same load I carried it until the mid-2000s when I switched to CorBon PowR'Ball. Reason for switching is that I was having the occasional FTF with the very flat Sierra HP.

Practice Competition Loads: 124 grain Hornady TC or the same in a hardcast. When the changeover to 100 grain PowR'Ball occurred then changed to the Berry's 100 grain RN-HB bullet to duplicate the recoil and POI of the factory load.

Holsters:
Rarely carried the gun in a holster. Just stuck the gun in the wasitband support side butt forward. That is how it got carried 99% of the time for 27 years. When a holster was used it was a Bianchi Askins Avenger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

10 rounds at 10 yards...after 25 years of being carried and shot

[Linked Image]

Gun #2 from 2007 till right now
1952 Colt Commander. Found at a gun show and in 2006 had it customized by Jody Joseph at JoJo's in Connecticut. Same as gun #1 but has a Officers ACP hook type grip safety, MMC Tactical Adjustable Night Sights and full hard chrome finish by Accurate Plating.

.38 Super...worked for 27 years why change a good thing.

Carry Load: CorBon PowR'Ball from 2007 till last year. Now have the magazine inter-spaced with 90 grain Underwood Xtreme Defender. PB runs 1530 fps and the Defender 1560.

Practice Ammo: Same...reload with Berry's plated 100 grain RN-HB

Holsters:
Started off with none but a problem developed in that the new night sight has a sharp corner the wore a hole under the left pocket of my jeans. Wore a Bianchi #6 for many years but the Mr. Chamberlain posted about the REMORA holsters and I have been using them ever since. I do also now often carry the gun in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. Switched from the Askins Avenger because the holster is available for almost all my guns and it sits just slightly lower on the belt.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RJM; 11/14/17.

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....