I've owned two Commanders, both lightweights. Neither of them ever gagged or choked, they'd run anything, including the old Speer 200gr. JHPs. I didn't do anything to the first one, just shot it, as is.
.The second Commander I bought after I'd been shooting a lot, and had developed my tastes accordingly. It had MMC fixed sights, no longer made, (like on RJMs first picture) but perfect for my eyes. I did put a larger safety on it, and had a beavertail GS put on. Nothing else, it wasn't needed. It never choked or puked, even with the Series 80 stuff inside.

I shot a helluva lot of IPSC/USPSA stuff in those days, along with an IDPA-based local club, and every now and then I'd shoot the Commander to to stay "current". I'd often come within a half-point of the same scores shot with a compensated pistol. Based on my experiences with a Gold Cup Series '70, the Commanders are fit together better than the GC. Mine was a lemon, for danged sure, but the Commanders would shoot right with the Cup. My plain old Government Model outshot the GC, Colt does a lot of good things, and some bad. I've owned both examples.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 11/14/17.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.