Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Thanks to Jordan and the others who are answering questions.

Originally Posted by MZ5
Thanks for the thread!

2 questions:

1) In the walk-through, Shooter back-calculated to an MV of 2860, but in the next picture, MV was listed as 2840. Why is that? A calculation issue? I'm not familiar with shooter.

2) Why in the world did someone come up with 'density-altitude' rather than just using station pressure and RH? What's the advantage?

1). Screw up on my part. Corrected MV is 2,840fps.

2). One number to input versus multiple. Batter way to go.

Originally Posted by atse
One thing to consider. Some of the new rangefinders and rangefinder binos, with ballistic software in them automatically take many of these atmospheric conditions into account.Along with angle change ect. I have found the information that my leica HD b s gives me in mils has been spot on from below zero to hot summer temperatures. I still have a range card, but don't use it. I dial what my binos tell me. I have only shot to 800 with it,generally concentrating on shots from 500 to 600 for 1 shot kills on coyotes.

The ballistic function is good, however in truly steep conditions at long range unless it's showing both straight line and corrected distance your wind corrections will be wrong. Just something for people to keep in mind.

Wind holds in the high country suck. It may change twice especially being above the deer shooting down into a basin. Solution: for me get closer. I have found with my geovids on very steep downward angles that there is .1 mils less per 100 yds hold, than a shot with little to no elevation. That is a rough calculation, but pretty consistent.