Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

So we can input 3 variables- absolute pressure, RH, and temp, we can enter 4 variables- baro pressure, altitude, RH, and temp, or 2 variables- DA and temp.

I agree. It doesn't matter which method you use. It just saves time and complication in the field if you're required to enter fewer inputs. I'm not saying one way is better than the other as long as the process and inputs are simplified and minimized. I've always used abs. pressure, temp, and RH method up until now, because my Kestrel doesn't measure DA and my phone has an integrated pressure sensor, but now that I have that DA app, I may start using that. We'll see. Really, I'm either entering DA and temp, or abs. pressure and temp. I leave RH set at 50% unless I'm shooting beyond 1000, given how little impact it has on the shot solution.

Actually if you use DA, you shouldn't need to enter temp, because it's already part of the DA calculation.

Ballistic AE does still ask for temp, but it's only for converting velocity to a mach number, I think for estimating the transonic region. Changing the temp value with a consistent DA input shouldn't have any effect on the drop values, if I understand what Ballistic AE is doing.

Yeah, I noticed that. I suppose if you don't care about the transonic region you could leave the mach number/temp out and just use the DA input.