Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by chamois
Yes, in my opinion, some hunts are too risky to do solo. Not that a pronghorn can shoot back at you... I am basically thinking in late season mountain hunts above 8,000ft. I just got back from the Caucasus and that can be a good example of what I mean: too remote, too treacherous, and too hard conditions to do alone. Even guided, at some stage during hunts like this, one who is there will think what the hell is he doing there!

I hunt on an island where the ground is rough, steep, and slippery, so there's a good chance of falling and spraining/breaking a leg. It's usually 40 degrees and pouring rain during hunting season, so if you get hurt, the risk of hypothermia is very high. And while this place is literally in sight of a good-sized town, the water moves too fast for small boats to cross the channel quickly, there are only old logging trails for rescue crews to get to you--not that you'd be near one of them anyway, the trees are too tall for helicopters to land, and the cell/radio coverage is crappy at best.

I've hunted it alone, but it's not a good idea.

Okie John

Same thing, just completely eliminate any communication short of a Sat phone... and add big bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.