Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

On my Moose Hunt my Guide ask me what Rifle I was shooting when I told him a 6.5-06 he looked at me funny. I explained it was basically a .270 he asked what scope. I told him a fixed 6 power he grinned and said "We are going to get along just fine" He asked how far I felt comfortable shooting and I said 50 yds. He laughed and said he would see what he could do. I killed my Moose at 50 yds off hand with a head shot as that is all I was offered. He about flipped out he said he has never had a hunter make a shot that quick and off hand he said most want the shooting sticks and take forever. I said I wanted the sticks and more time but it wasn't offered.

Growing up learning to jump shoot elk in the spruce-fir elk jungles, it was quite frustrating as a guide when hunters could not bring their rifle to bear quickly (as in entirely unfamiliar with their rifle), having their scope on high magnification, and being so startled by elk crashing way in the timber they would literally take a step or two backwards (actually, when elk blow up 30 yds away it can make a guy jump!). Try as I might to "coach" them that they were more likely to encounter elk less than a 100 yds rather than 300-400 yds, clients were often totally umprepared to make those close, quick shots.

I learned to accept it over time.............

A friend "shot" a black bear, very close and unexpectedly. Trying to wrinkle out where the bear went was tough, in part because he had no idea where he was standing when he shot, let alone where the bear was.

Finally figured out his location from the magazine-load of unfired ammo laying in a neat little pile where it had been ejected while he was "shooting" the bear.

Any empties?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender