Originally Posted by TheKid
The big drum switch is still on the machine too it has a wire that runs into the VFD box on it. But I feel like I will need to just turn it on and leave it, using the remote for the VFD as my on off switch, correct?

Idunno, it's kind of a groaner...
We'll fall back to, if it was working the way he had it all should be well.

A drum switch reverses electrical phases in a three phase application.
Reversing any two phases changes motor direction.
Lets say in forward, the motor is running with the three electric phases in L1/L2/L3 order. Flip the drum switch to reverse and now you are in L3/L2/L1 order.

If the drum switch was functioning with the VFD installed it has to be between the VFD and the Motor.
If it is installed between the VFD and the power source it wouldn't have changed the motor direction.
A VFD don't care what order the incoming power is in, it doesn't effect the output side of it.

Prior to the VFD installation there was some sorta motor contactor/starter and the drum switch could have been on either side of it and worked.

You don't have no Line 3 on your incoming side anymore with the single phase power.
"IF" the drum switch is between the incoming power source and the drive and "IF" you flip the drum switch it'll probably just shut down.......lets hope.....drives and finicky they don't like weird schit.

Probably nothing to be concerned of and the drum switch is installed between the VFD and the motor.

I don't take anything for granted, who knows how the last guy wired it and why.

That being said, I'm gonna take it for granted the 24v dc power supply powers up your DRO.
Oh hold it, I'm a electrician not a machinist, I'm not suppose to know what a DRO is:-)

But something deep down inside of me is saying that big fancy illuminated touch pad thingy that looks so outta place on that old machine is gonna light up like a Christmas tree when that VFD engages. Sino DRO 's are DC powered, so I'm just guessin'.
Does that thing have a power feed too?

I'm glad you have some local help for this, I know a lot of welders and the only wire they ever mess with comes outta their mig power feed...........

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?