I will give you my experience and I started to test out Dogs in NAVHDA, as far back as the early 80's. I trained a lot of pointers, No matter what dog you have I have always believed in one thing....."You own what you condone"............ Your talking low key,,,,,,, that would rule out a lot of breeds, because for instance, I can always shorten up a dog, but I like to get them, with a lot of drive. Of course it goes without saying, its all training time. Pointers are a lot of work, and besides some table and yard work, it takes birds birds and more birds for training.................................... I have had GSP, setters, and wire hairs, all can do the job, but again, its what your looking for. Setters can make some of the best woodcock dogs in the world, and than there pretty much done, compared to a GSP for a all around dog, and I love setters. There are no bad dogs, just bad handlers......

If you do not have a lot of room, the cocker can be tough to beat, they are not cheap, due to the breeding that has been brought back to better the breed. Also do you need a dog to do water work? Presently at 68 I need a low key dog, so I have a lab,,,,,,,, he is not big, 60lbs, he does point well, but its not so much pointing in his blood, its just a lot of caution he uses, due to the fact, that here in the UP, he is hunted heavy on grouse, and has learned that. great water dog, quiet, sits well, good shed dog, and low key, till he hits the field..............

I also like the Drathar, if your looking for an all around dog, that you can take out for any birds, upland or water, and will follow you quietly along your trap line............. Find a trainer / breeder you like, work with them, look at the dogs in the field, spend some time, and you will find what you are looking for......

In my experience, the guys with the most money, have the worst dogs. Seen it all of my life, regardless if I was guiding or training. Guys have 70,000.00 trucks 3000.00 shotguns, and on and on, and just a poor handling, noisy dog.

I would rather have a 3000 dollar dog, and a 50.00 used shotgun............... good luck