Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I have a Boykin, and highly recommend and love the breed. I primarily duck hunt with mine. They will do everything you are asking for very well, except point. However, they are not what I define as "low key".

Sounds like a great dog. However, of they aren't low-key I have no interest at all.

I guess it all depends on what you define as low key. If you mean good manners then yes they are. If you train them, they are very obedient. If by energy level, they are full of energy and need exercise, but I would not consider them as high strung as somethung like a GSP, English Pointer, or Weimaraner. They were originally bred to be turkey flushers and to retrieve waterfowl from small one man boats (to keep from tipping the boat over). Both activities require the dog to be obedient and still. They typically calm down considerably at 2-2.5 years of age without losing their drive. But, thats most hunting breeds in my experience.

A true hunting dog is going to be more energetic than an over weight English Bulldog.