I now live in NE Washington. I'm a city boy learning the rural life. Around here we have trees to 36" dia and a bit over 100'. There are several species to select from including: birch, doug fir, lodge pole pine, ponderosa pine, western larch (tamarack) and some others. Larch, fir and birch are the preferred wood burners. I have a MS 271 with. 20" bar. This saw has worked flawlessly for close to 3 years. I keep it sharp, use fresh clean gas and synthetic bar oil. It is a 50cc saw. This said and knowing more about saws when I get another saw it will be from a professional line and probably a 60cc size. I do like the 20" bar as I select the larger trees. There is enough dead standing stuff that I usually dont cut live trees. Birch is the exception and I wont touch it unless I know it is solid and punk free. I currently use a splitting ax for splitting (fiskars with a 36" handle') I will continue to hand split until I can't then - will get an electric splitter as they are clean and quiet.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin