Dwayne as always thanks for the input. Those squirrely wedges do NOTHING on our oak. Tried a couple and gave up on em. Have to use the normal wedges and a sledge hammer. Sometimes takes 3-4 wedges to get a round to split into pieces wife and I can move around to under the splitter on the tractor. Used to be able to handle the bigger ones but no longer. Age taking a toll I suppose.

Looking forward a lot I think to the softer trees up north. But I know some of those trees are even pretty tough, will be interesting to see how they compare to our oak.

I don't even recall what I split a bunch of in Kimberely many years ago for our relatives, but it was a pure joy with an axe and he had some contraption of a splitting axe with "wings" that flipped out or some such, I laughed as it would be stuck in our oak, but it sure went through the piles he had fairly easily.

Still deciding saw wise... I think that might be a tough decision...maybe a second MS271 for a backup and have a bigger spare bar... I got tired of making cuts from both sides on big oaks, but oaks it takes minutes and minutes for the saw to cut through one direction, then you start over on the other side and it gets old.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....