Originally Posted by lynntelk
Basically all springers are "twangy". I agree with Blackheart about hating a "twangy" air rifle. You can spend the extra $$$ 's and have a springer tuned by one of the air gun guru's. The tune does make a difference both in accuracy and sound. You should not leave a springer cocked for very long as the spring will tend to take a set and over a long period this will affect accuracy and velocity. This was one of the reasons in my original reply that I mention the gas piston air rifles. For this type of rifle you cock it and are compressing gas (air) in a sealed piston. With the gas piston type air rifles you eliminate the "twang".

Well, actually not all springers "twang" due to their power level (6-7ftlbs) the R7/HW30S rifle really don't have any buzz on firing. Which is why they are so univesally loved by those who own them.

There is sort of a magic physics formula of rifle weight vs ftlbs of muzzle energy at work there. As long as the gun does not put out more than one ft lb of muzzle energy per pound of rifle weight, the gun is usually well behaved. The HW39/R7 rifles weigh six pounds and put out that anount at the muzzle. ..

Most Olymic grade Match spring rifles put out HALF their weight in muzzle energy.
Magunm springers usuly put out TWICE as much.. Its a matter of mass vs stored energy.

Gas tams have their own problems . Yes they elimnate " twang" but they actually are less reliable than spring pistons.They van leak and or explode (yes- explode) They have no twang, but a sharper snap to the firing cycle and are very hard on scopes.

Spings are cheaper and easier to replace as well. When Walther set out to design new state of the art piston guns with their LGV and LGU series ,they DID NOT use a gas ram to do it. That should tell you something.