JK
I thought I knew what I was talking about but you seem to have a different opinion. I have purchased three Weihrauch HW30-S over the last 6-9 years. All were gifted to grandchildren and believe me they tried to wear them out without success. They are a good starter pellet rifle with amazing accuracy. All springers push a projectile out the end of a barrel by means of releasing a compressed spring that is contained in a tube. The spring moving down the tube and suddenly stopping, results in the "twang". All springer have the "twang", some less than others. I have never shot an Olympic grade air rifle, but will bet they are "tuned" to eliminate as much "twang" vibration as possible to aid in accuracy. "Gas tam" I no nothing of. Most people refer to the gas struts in these types of rifles as gas pistons or gas rams. The two partners at Theoben Air Rifles designed and started offering gas ram for sale in air rifles back int he 80's. I have a Theoben Evolution rifle with their gas piston and it has been going strong for going on two decades. Theoben is not longer in the rifle business but their gas ram design lives on. I have owned a multitude of springers both tuned and not tuned. I don't have a thing against springers but have migrated toward the gas ram type of air rifles for my guns. Currently my main tree rat gun is a Weihrauch 22 caliber HW90. The HW90 gas ram is a Theoben design. Gas ram failure would be a seal failure. Seals can be replaced in gas rams and the ram recharged. I am ashamed to say I have not heard of the gas ram explosion you are talking about. Not saying if could not happen, just that I have not heard about it. I would think this would be a more common problem with pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air rifle that have a much larger volume of compressed air. The volume of air contained in a gas ram is pretty small. ALL magnum air rifles, both springer and gas ram, are hard on scopes. When scoping magnum air rifles you will need to look or ask if they are magnum air gun rated. Some of the scope manufactures will tell you they are tested to 50 caliber recoil........but some of those 50 cal. rated scopes will not hold up to a magnum air rifle.