Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So does Montana, including the public hunting area just north of our small town. Most whitetails in Montana live on private land, but some parts of the state have whitetails on public land--some very much resembling parts of New York.

I've hunted public land in many states and provinces, including Michigan, New York and West Virginia. Heavy hunting hunting pressure is heavy hunting pressure, no matter where it occurs.
Whereabouts have you hunted in NY ? It makes a huge difference, even as far as public land. I've hunted most of it here, from the Catskills to several Counties in central NY, the finger lakes region and the Adirondacks. The only exceptions being the capital district and Western NY. I've been all over Montana and seen deer on both public and private ground. I have not hunted there so don't know what the hunting pressure is like but given the human population and the amount of land there vs here I find it diffucult to fathom hunting pressure could be equal. I've hunted places here where it was damned difficult to get out of sight of another hunter all day. And that in an area that is all wooded so visibility limited to 100 yards or so max..